Mount Carmel Methodist Church
Near Berry’s Ferry (Clarke County), Virginia
Built (circa) 1760
Own a Slice of Mt. Carmel History
Little detail of the actual building of the church is available.
The location is on the vast land grant once owned by Lord Fairfax, just off of Route 50 in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Legend has it that a Miss Polly Ann Green once nursed Lord Fairfax back to health at his Greenway Court home near White Post, Virginia, some six miles away. She was an ardent prayer and as she prayed for his recovery she asked him for a place to build a church near her home in the Blue Ridge Mountains on the Ashby Gap Toll Road.
He granted her wish and the land was surveyed by his surveyor, young George Washington.
The church was first built of logs which later were covered with weather boarding. The original design had two entrances, one for the ladies and one for the gentlemen. A center divider was in place to insure the separation of the sexes. It also had a balcony which was reserved for the slaves.
In the Journals of Amanda Virginia Edmonds 1857-1867 she tells of going to Mount Carmel Church a number of times during the Civil War.
It is shown on the survey of the breakup of
the lands owned by Rawleigh Colston in 1834 as a “Meeting House.”
Only a few early records remain and these are in notebooks covering
the Sunday School activities from 1890-1010. Many of the names
listed there were active in the church until mid twentieth century
and some of these families continue to be members to the present